About VSSS - School Wide Positive Behaviour
POSITIVE BEHAVIOUR SUPPORT AT VERMONT SOUTH SPECIAL SCHOOL
School Wide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS) is a school wide process for developing and explicitly teaching appropriate and positive behaviours.
Introducing, modelling, and reinforcing positive social behaviour is an important step of a student's educational experience. Teaching behavioural expectations and acknowledging students for following them is a much more positive approach than waiting for misbehaviour to occur before responding.
• Tell – introduce the expected behaviour and why it is important
• Show – demonstrate or model the rule
• Practice – role play expected behaviour in relevant contexts
o Pre correct
o Provide positive feedback
• Reteach – revise throughout the day
Research has shown that PBS improves a school’s environment and helps keep students and teachers in safe and productive classrooms by:
• reducing disciplinary incidents;
• improving interpersonal relationships;
• improving attendance rates;
• increasing students’ sense of belonging and safety; and
• supporting improved academic outcomes.
Vermont South Special School Expectations:
Be a LEARNER